This blog is for the descendants of Franz Adam Knapp, a German farmer who settled in Portage County, Ohio in 1831. He is the immigrant ancestor of the U.S. branch of the Knapp clan in northeast Ohio.
Franz Adam KNAPP was born 12 Aug 1783 in Wald-Erlenbach, Hesse, Germany, eldest son of Johann KNAPP and Anna Elizabeth JAKOB. Franz was a veteran of the Napoleonic Wars. This was one of the things that spurred him to emigrate from Germany to the United States. Franz Adam KNAPP married Eva Elizabeth JUST/JOST on 10 Aug 1812 in Heppenheim, Starkenburg, Hesse, Germany. She was born 17 Feb 1789.
This couple had the following children:
1. Margaretha KNAPP, born 5 May 1813. Margaretha KNAPP married John Joseph SPILLMAN sometime before 1828. The couple migrated to Pekin, IL in Tazewell County sometime before 1845. The couple had ten children, so I am positive there a lot of SPILLMAN descendants in Pekin, IL to this day.
2. John Adam KNAPP, born 24 Oct 1815. John Adam KNAPP married Agnes TRARES sometime before 1842. Agnes was the daughter of Matthias TRARES and Elizabeth HELMLING. She was born 30 June 1823 in Kirschhausen/Kreis Bergstraße/Hesse/Germany (former Hesse-Darmstadt/Germany). Kirschhausen is now part of Heppenheim (thanks to Manfred Bräuer, Heppenheim, for providing this information about her birthdate and place of birth!). She died on 4 April 1901 in Randolph Twp., Portage County, Ohio. John Adam KNAPP died 5 Feb 1898 in Randolph Twp., Portage County, Ohio. Both are buried in St. Joseph’s Cemetery in Randolph. John Adam KNAPP was a cobbler (shoemaker) by trade.
3. Gerhard KNAPP, born 11 Dec 1816 in Wald-Erlenbach, Hesse, Germany. I have little information on him.
4. Elizabeth KNAPP, born 15 Nov 1820 in Wald-Erlenbach, Hesse, Germany. I don’t have any information on her yet, either.
Franz Adam KNAPP had the following brothers and sisters:
1. Anna Barbara KNAPP was born 23 Apr 1785 in Wald-Erlenbach, Hesse, Germany. She married Nikolaus TAUFERTSHOFER 3 May 1808 in Morlenbach, Hesse, Germany. She died 14 Jan 1847 in Morlenbach, Hesse, Germany.
2. Maria Katharina KNAPP was born 8 June 1788 in Wald-Erlenbach, Hesse, Germany. She married Johann Adam FABIAN on 28 Nov 1815 in Furth (Odenwald), Germany. She died 5 Jan 1849 in Furth, Odenwald, Germany. One of her daughters, Elisabeth, emigrated from Germany to America. She married Peter Phillip HELFERT in Posey, Indiana. Eventually the couple settled in Ste. Marie Twp., in Jasper, Illinois.
3. Johann KNAPP was born 10 April 1791 and died sometime before 1793.
4. Johann KNAPP was born 15 October 1793 and died 15 Sep 1866 in Furth, Odenwald, Germany. I believe Johann fought in the Napoleonic wars with his elder brother, Franz Adam KNAPP.
5. Anna Elisabeth KNAPP was born 4 June 1796 in Wald-Erlenbach, Germany. She died 14 Nov 1856 in Krumbach, Germany.
6. John Adam KNAPP was born 21 Oct 1800 in Wald-Erlenbach, Hesse, Germany. He was a cobber (shoemaker) by trade. He married Elizabeth ANDES, daughter of Peter ANDES and Maria Anna ARTZ, 28 July 1829 in Heppenheim, Starkenburg, Hessen, Germany. The couple had seven children, including: Nancy Maryann, Elizabeth, Eva, Peter, Rosina, Margaret, and Mary. John Adam KNAPP made the journey to America, following his elder brother, Franz Adam KNAPP, to Portage County, Ohio about 1831.
7. Elisabeth KNAPP was born 5 Oct 1803 in Wald-Erlenbach, Hesse, Germany. It is believed she married Johann KLEIN.